When someone gets injured from an accident, they would typically hire a lawyer to file a personal claim against the accused. Like most reputable personal injury lawyers, they would offer you a free consultation. But what exactly is a free consultation? What does it entail? A free consultation is an appointment, whether it be by telephone or in person, to discuss the situation without charging a fee. A free consultation gives you the chance to get to know the personal injury attorney to help you decide if they are the right attorney for you.
During your free consultation, the attorney will typically ask you a few questions about the case and it is important to be honest about the case. The more detailed you are the better. This will help you determine if the attorney is the right fit for you. Here is some information or documents to bring up during your consultation:
- Official police report
- Any medical records related to accident
- Anything you received from the insurance company pertaining to the accident
- Any repair bills from the accident
- Photographs or crash reports from the accidents
- Ask what your legal options are
- Discuss your injuries and the accident, anything that can help understand your case better
Free consultation’s purpose is to help you evaluate in your mind whether you will in the end hire this lawyer. It will not determine the result of your case or the amount you will receive from a settlement. You may have to go through a million free consultations until you find the perfect attorney. It is up to you to do the research during the consultation to really determine if the lawyer is the right person and if they will help you win the case.
The best way to make sure the free consultation is successful, is to prepare for it. Below are a few tips you can follow to prepare:
- Make sure you are choosing the lawyer that right fits you
- Typically on the lawyer’s firm website there will be success stories, case results or reviews from prior clients and use that as a reference when making a decision
- Make sure that the lawyer practices the type of personal injury relevant to your case
- Be sure to any questions they may have regarding the case
- Have any legal questions for the attorney ready
- Understand the attorney’s fee agreement
- Personal injury lawyers mostly charge a contingency fee (they will receive percentage of the settlement money, the jury will determine how much)
- Do your research on the attorney and their fees, so they you are not surprised by a fee
If you have been injured in an accident and in need of a free consultation contact the Cohen and Cohen Law, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you get the money you deserve.